Experienced Nursing Home And Elder Abuse Lawyers In Maui
Settling a parent into a nursing home can be an emotional experience, but often, it is either necessary or the best option available to the family. Your elderly loved one may need constant medical attention or help with daily tasks. They may not be able to maintain their own home, drive or be safely left alone. Your hope is that the nursing home or other elder care facility will be a safe and welcoming space and will provide good care. However, you may see signs that your loved one is not being cared for properly or is being harmed in your loved one’s new home.
After recognizing the signs of elder neglect or abuse at a Hawaii nursing home or other elder care facility, it is essential that you speak with a lawyer who is experienced in this specialized area of the law. At Menzer Law Firm, PLLC, we can advise you of your loved one’s rights and legal options, including filing a lawsuit against a negligent individual or facility.
For legal advice regarding suspected neglect or abuse of nursing home residents in Hawaii, call our law offices at 808.427.5752 and schedule a free consultation.
We accept cases on a contingency fee basis. You pay no upfront fees and only owe us if we win your case.
Signs Of Elder Neglect And Abuse In Maui
Whether your loved one is cared for at home or lives in a nursing home or other elder care facility, they are entitled to be free from harm at the hands of their caregivers, co-residents and others. However, all too often, seniors are harmed by others’ neglect, negligence or abuse. Such conduct can lead to serious physical injuries, psychological distress, depression, anxiety and early death.
Elder neglect occurs when a caregiver fails to provide adequate food, hydration, medical care or treatment, shelter, clothing and protection. Nursing home neglect can be intentional or arise from carelessness, improper training and inadequate staffing. Signs of Maui elder neglect include:
- Poor hygiene
- Lack of bathing and a bad odor
- Lack of dental hygiene and care
- Dirty clothing and soiled underwear
- Soiled bedding
- A dirty or messy environment
- Urinary tract infections (UTIs)
- Unexplained bruising
- Missed medications
- Weight loss
Elder abuse is an intentional act or failure to act that causes a senior injury or puts them in harm’s way. Elder abuse encompasses:
- Physical abuse: Including hitting, kicking, physical restraints, overmedication or chemical restraints. Signs include bruises at various stages of healing, broken bones, sprains, dislocations, broken glasses, reduced consciousness and other signs or marks of restraint.
- Sexual abuse: Including forced sex and groping over or under clothing. Signs may include bruising or bleeding around the breasts, buttocks, genitals and groin area; torn or bloody underclothing; and sexually transmitted infections (STIs).
- Psychological and emotional abuse: Includes name-calling, blaming, shaming and social isolation. Signs may include regression to childlike behaviors, depression, anxiety and fear of a particular person.
- Financial exploitation: Including theft, fraud, embezzlement or overbilling. Signs include significant withdrawals from the senior’s account, sudden changes in the senior’s finances, missing items or cash, unexpected and suspicious changes to the senior’s will or powers of attorney, unexpected transfers in property ownership and the purchase of unnecessary goods and services.
If you have noticed any signs of neglect or abuse involving an elderly family member, call us at Menzer Law to discuss your loved one’s rights and legal options.
Types Of Long-Term Care Facilities For Seniors In Maui, Hawaii
Your loved one can be victimized by a caregiver, an administrator, another resident or a visitor associated with a variety of elder care programs or facilities. Types of elder care include:
- Adult day care: Seniors may go to adult daycare facilities during working hours. There, they can receive assistance and participate in social and recreational activities.
- At-home care: There are various types of home care that seniors and their families can use to help senior family members remain at home. You may hire full-time caregivers or part-time aides. These individuals can help seniors take medications on time, maintain a healthy diet, remain hydrated, bathe and dress, and get around when necessary.
- Residential care homes: Residential care homes offer personalized care for small groups of seniors or disabled adults. The residency provides lodging, meals, assistance with daily tasks and help taking daily medication.
- Assisted living facilities: Assisted living facilities offer senior residents help with transportation and daily tasks, including eating, maintaining personal hygiene, dressing, using the toilet, housekeeping and attending social activities. The level of assistance can vary depending on a resident’s needs. Basic health and medical services may be provided, but skilled nursing is not available.
- Nursing homes: Nursing homes offer skilled nursing and medical care 24/7 in addition to assistance with daily life tasks and social events. Different facilities may offer different levels of medical care and supervision.
- Memory care: For seniors with Alzheimer’s disease or other forms of dementia, certain security measures are essential to keep them safe. A memory care facility may be independent or a unit within a nursing home. Memory care has heightened security measures, and workers should have more specific training.
What To Do When You Suspect Elder Neglect Or Abuse In Maui
If you believe that your elder loved one or friend is being neglected or physically, sexually, psychologically or financially abused by someone, you can contact the state of Hawaii Adult Protective Services (APS) office. APS has the power to intervene in cases of suspected or confirmed abuse or neglect. Elder abuse can also be a crime. You can contact APS or the police to pursue charges against the individual who perpetrated the criminal abuse or neglect. We also recommend that you contact an experienced and knowledgeable Maui-based nursing home neglect and elder abuse attorney. Elder neglect or abuse may give rise to serious injuries, and a civil claim against a specific individual, agency or facility may be appropriate. We can help you pursue compensation for past and future medical expenses, pain and suffering, mental anguish, reduced quality of life and more.
Call Menzer Law Today
If you believe that your loved one is being neglected or abused at a nursing home or other type of elder care facility in Maui, Hawaii, contact us at Menzer Law today online or by calling 808.427.5752 to schedule a no-cost case evaluation. Our experienced elder abuse attorneys can explain your legal options, including filing a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit against the perpetrator, agency or facility. Attorney Matt Menzer and our team have many years of experience helping elder abuse and neglect victims. Attorney Menzer alone has over 30 years of experience. We have the knowledge and skills you need to protect and obtain justice for your elderly loved one.